“Every woman is the architect of her own fortune.”
―Jessie Burton, The Miniaturist
Written at the Bali Eco Deli on Nusa Lembongan Island
Here’s the thing.
You can do whatever the hell you want with your life. It’s yours to design and you can’t afford to be lazy about that. The hard part is actually working out what you want to do with it. The rest is pretty easy.
First, you commit to dreaming up your amazing five-star life, your experience on earth that you’ll die proud of. And then you start making it happen.
How can you work out what you want?
- Start by thinking about what sets you alight and fills you with energy.
- Look at your role models and identify what they’ve done and who they’ve become that inspires you so much.
- Know your true values and think about the goals, ideal habits and future achievements that align with these.
- Dream up the ideal life you’d want if nothing were in your way.
- Write your own eulogy, or how you want to be remembered by others. Will the ideal life you’ve dreamed up enable this?
Sometimes the things you want can challenge you and leave you feeling anxious. But if you look underneath the fear, there’s excitement there. A knowledge deep down about what your best version of yourself would be doing right now… if you just had that little bit more self-belief and tenacity.
After identifying what you want and who you want to be, you can go out and pretend to be that confident, fired up and courageous version of yourself. Then, day by day, you’ll eventually become that person.
What would you do if you knew you didn’t have long left? The thing is: you really don’t. Go get that technicolour life of yours, now.4 Enjoy this article?